Lavender's Blue

This is a song that my grandmother use to sing me.  It is an old English Folk song, dating back to about the seventeenth century.  Burl Ives made this song popular again in the late 1940s.  You can find a version of him singing on Youtube.  Here is my version. I have changed the words of the second verse, I would like to challenge you to also try writing your own second verse.  This song lends itself well to writing lyrics about what you hope for the future.




Lavender's Blue (a variation)
Lavender's blue, dilly, dilly, Lavender's green.
When you are King, dilly, dilly, I shall be Queen.
Who told you so, dilly, dilly, who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly, dilly, that told me so

Sweet little one, dilly, dilly, sweet little one
When you are grown, dilly, dilly what shall you be?
You will be sweet dilly, dilly, you will be kind
But most of all, dilly, dilly, you will be mine.

Try writing your own verse:
_______________, dilly, dilly, __________ (insert child's name, or a nickname)
When you are grown, dilly, dilly, what shall you be?
________________, dilly, dilly, _______________ (list hopes for the child)
________________,dilly, dilly, _______________ (end with a rhyming word to the above verse)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cute! Tell Eamon thank you. :)

      Delete